Monday, August 2, 2010

Dark Chocolate Cookies

This is one of my very favorite recipes, and, now that I think about it, it might be one of the recipes that prompted me to love baking. Why? Because everyone (excluding Sarah who hates chocolate) loves these cookies. Everyone. They are cakey and delicious and they hit that chocolate spot without being too sweet. Yum! A note: a tasty, optional addition is something called "nibs" which are the roasted and finely chopped hull of the cocoa bean. It adds a little crunch (not too much of a crunch, you won't break a tooth) that some people like. I like them both ways; my family prefers the crunch. Scharffen Berger has great nibs, but they're expensive...so you're better off investing in really high quality cocoa powder (I use natural and not dutch process in this recipe). The last time I made this recipe I fiddled a little bit and they came out even cakier and more delicious than usual. Sadly, I didn't write down my changes (I seem to recall extra flour and baking soda, but now I can't remember why that was necessary...).


Dark Chocolate Cookies (Originally published in Gourmet, February 2003)
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened, natural cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Whisk together the flour, natural cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the vanilla. In three parts add the dry ingredients, mixing only until incorporated. Drop tablespoon-sized spoonfuls of batter on a cookie sheet and place in the center of the oven for 11 minutes. Let them cool before digging in!

A side note: it is absolutely imperative that you eat lots and lots of this batter before it goes in the oven. It's the best, most delicious, most incredible batter on the planet.

A second side note: I've never tried this, but these cookies would make fabulous (if delicate) ice cream sandwiches. Some peppermint or vanilla would be yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment