Sunday, August 1, 2010

Oops...

I'm so, so sorry blog-readers! I haven't posted in ages. It has been, shall we say, a wee turbulent these days in the life of me. I left Switzerland. Did I mention this? It just wasn't for me. Aaaand moving on -

I'm in Washington, D.C. now! For those of you thinking, "wait, what?": I know. It's seems really sudden, but I've thought a lot about where I would want to live, given the chance, and decided that if I had the chance to live there right in front of me I'd be a fool not to take it. I feel mobile; I feel like I could live anywhere. I feel like I only need a suitcase and I like it. 'Course I'll be here at least for a while, but I like that too. For the next while my motto will be "why not?"

Meanwhile all the recipes I've been cooking up have been on the back burner! I'm sorry, really, because I've worked on some whoppers. Coming up: ollalieberry pie, chocolate bread, lemon tart and more! For now, a tip: most recipes are off because you're adding too much flour! Did you know when you scoop the flour with the measuring cup and shake it, you're actually packing the flour in, adding more than the recipe calls for? If you can't weigh your flour when baking (and honestly, most people don't have the patience to do so, including me) then you can try this instead: spoon the flour into the measuring cup without tapping or shaking the cup to level it and take a knife to level off the excess. This really makes a difference! I've always had cakes and cupcakes that dome, which is caused by an excess of flour in the batter. This should take care of that problem.

In closing, a little of my life philosophy: I think life should be a little uncomfortable. I think it should be busy and crowded with people, and you shouldn't be able to sleep through it. In fact, it should require your attention at (almost) all times. In short, it should be messy and need tending. Was my life a little too neat? I think it was. I think it was too soon for all my ends to be tied up, and it was definitely too soon to feel like the long path of my future was stretching on forever in a perfectly straight line. I'm going to enjoy the loops, curves, blind spots and Lombard Streets that are in my near future. Cheesy? Yes. Have we met? I cry at pet food commercials and lifetime movies. Get psyched folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment