Friday, March 25, 2011

New Curtains

As many readers know, I live in a one bedroom "with sunroom," which means my bedroom is a little glass box with sliding doors and limited heating/cooling. Actually, there's unlimited cooling in the winter and plenty of heating in the summer, but that's besides the point. I really like my room, it might be small but it's bright and I have enough room for my stuff. Also, the apartment closet is huge. In square footage it might be about the same as my room, and it has built in shelving. Along with the washer/dryer unit, it is the very best part about the apartment. BUT, I digress. The point here is curtains. Glass doors, and curtains.

Without curtains, my room is something like living in one of those cages in a go-go club. Fortunately there are built in blinds on the exterior window, but the interior glass wall is living room-adjacent. The ceiling is cement, and there is a mental ventilation system behind one wall. This makes curtain installation tricky, to say the least. My dedicated friend/handyman D.S. labored for several evenings trying to get some curtains up. He finally did, by installing a wire, but having to arrange and rearrange two layers of curtains just to get some privacy to change in the morning/evening was getting cumbersome, to say the least. SO. While in California, my mother and I shopped (it's what we do best) in Ikea, and came up with an excellent solution. Panels. Panels! A little tape, some cutting and some patience, and after two hours here is what I have:


Friends, I can't lie. Half of the panels fell down overnight...also, they're getting stuck when I open and close the doors. I know, I'm working on it. Perhaps some double-sided foam strips? Still, once it's up and running I'll be a seriously happy camper. Only one set of doors to open and close! Easily obtained privacy! Some color in the living room! This is the stuff of dreams, let me tell you...

No comments:

Post a Comment