Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dutch Baby Pancakes


Breakfast! As you can see I found maple syrup in the supermarket. I wanted to make this recipe I found online called “Dutch Baby Pancakes”. They are supposed to be a bit like a souffle and a popover, they puff in the oven and fall when you take them out, and the middle is eggy and custardy. Well. I had to adjust the recipe for ml instead of cups, and the temperature for degrees Celsius and not Fahrenheit (also taking into account the automatic fan-assist in my oven, which makes the food cook faster). We’re at altitude as well (albeit not that high) so I added a little extra flour, just in case.

This is what came out! It was heavier than I expected and as you can see it didn’t rise in the middle at all. It was, however, pure delicious pancakey goodness with maple syrup on top. Next time I’d probably add some kind of leavening, or, you know, just make pancakes ; )

Dutch Baby Pancakes
2 Large Eggs
1/2 cup (or 120 ml) flour
1/2 cup (or 120 ml) milk
1/4 tsp. (or 2 ml) salt
1/2 Tbsp. (or 7 ml) melted butter

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (or 210 degrees Celcius with a fan-assist oven), and place a 6 in oven-safe frying pan inside. Mix all the ingredients (until just combined, don’t over mix the flour!) and when the oven is at 425 take out the frying pan and pour the batter in. Place the pan back in the oven and cook for 15-20 min (I did 17) until it’s puffy. Serve immediately with maple syrup, jam, nutella, or any other thing! You can double the recipe and cook it in a 10 in. skillet for 20-25 minutes for 2-4 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment